Every Friday Central brings you stories from the week that you might have missed, but that are definitely worth a look. We’ll feature food news covering everything from the weird to the wonderful in the world of restaurants, schools, the military and more. It’s our way to help you go into the weekend with a little extra knowledge and maybe even a project or recipe to try out!
1) Father’s Day is this Sunday, June 19. In case you forgot to buy dad some great Pork Barrel BBQ cologne you could always treat him to a meal (along with around 50 million other Americans). Several restaurants are running both brunch and dinner specials just in case you’d rather let someone else do all the cooking and cleaning, in order for you to spend the maximum amount of time with dear old dad. Check out your city’s Open Table site then click on the Father’s Day icon to get a listing of places like Fleming’s Steakhouse and McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood that are participating in these specials in your area as well as make your reservation.
2) On the other hand you may prefer to give your dad something a little more homemade, why not try your hand at brunch with the help of Delish. We recommend the Real-Man Quiche accompanied by a Fresh Tomato Bloody Mary. This brunch will definitely be a great way for any father to start his day!
3) It may also be nice to think about gifts to get dad for future Father’s Day celebrations. This is where Rosie the German robot and James the American robot come in. Though they aren’t for sale quite yet, you never know when the duo could be up for grabs and on dad’s wish list. These two make pancakes and recently even prepared a Bavarian sausage breakfast. Start saving now and you may just be able to give dad (and mom) the gift of never having to cook again in the not so distant future.
4) While taking your father out for a nice dinner for his big day may be topped off perfectly with dessert, you may want to take a recent story from Florida into consideration when ordering. Last Saturday, five restaurant patrons were burned, one severely by the 151 proof rum used to ignite their bananas foster dessert. According to the St. Petersburg Times the incident may have been caused when the server poured the alcohol directly from its bottle onto the dessert causing fire to erupt. So if dad really has a hankering for this sweet treat you might want to remind him of this incident and go for the chocolate cake instead.
5) And finally, if dad’s really the tech type introduce him to the gift that keeps on giving…the restaurant smart-phone app. Pizza joints like Pizza Hut allow dad to place an order without ever speaking to anyone at the store. The one from Starbucks allows you to fill up dad’s Starbucks card and then he can use said card app to pay for his Grande Mocha Latte. If he’s more of a calorie counter, he could use the bd’s Mongolian Grill app to build his bowl and find out exactly what’s in his caloric range before he even enters the restaurant.