Welcome to July, everybody!
Every Friday Central brings you stories from the week that you might have missed, but that are definitely worth a look. We’ll feature food news covering everything from the weird to the wonderful in the world of restaurants, schools, the military and more. It’s our way to help you go into the weekend with a little extra knowledge and maybe even a project or recipe to try out!
1) There are new rules coming for debit card swipe fees. Taking effect this Oct. 1, the Federal Reserve will put a cap on debit card swipe fees for merchants at 21 cents per transaction. These fees are paid by merchants each time customers use a debit card to pay. The NRA (Nation’s Restaurant News) says they are disappointed and concerned the Federal Reserve’s cap rose as much as it did from the proposed rule, and put together this article about the new rule.
2) We’ve heard of some new ethnic foods becoming more popular in America’s fast casual market, the latest being Indian. This Nation’s Restaurant News article says, “full-service mom-and-pop operators have long dominated the landscape of Indian restaurants across America, but this new wave of chain concepts aims to offer the same flavors with limited-service speed and price points.”
3) The nation’s fifth largest fast food chain, Jack in the Box, is removing toys from their kids meals. The Huffington Post reports these changes have come amidst many towns in California who now require kid’s meals meet certain nutritional standards in order to be able to include toys. Jack in the Box comments the decision wasn’t related to recent events and children nutrition advocates hope Jack in the Box’s actions will help their competitors move in this direction as well.
4) Soul Daddy, winner of NBC’s “Next Great Restaurant,” has closed their last location in Minneapolis’ Mall of America. The Minneapolis St. Paul Business Journal reports the restaurant was open for “barely two months.” One of the store’s managers, Josh Furman, told the Star Tribune he didn’t see it coming as “they were in process of adding new items to the menu and developing the concept more in line with Jamawn’s (founder) original soul-food concept.”
5) The holiday weekend is here! From July 2 through July 4, Burger King is having a special deal and will offer their Original Chicken Sandwich for $1.04. Nation’s Restaurant News says the typical price for the sandwich is $3.69. Burger King isn’t the only one, take advantage of offers in your area and do a quick search to see what’s going on.
Central wishes you a fun and safe July Fourth weekend.