Tag Archives: K-12 schools

Recovery Act includes $100M in equipment grants for K-12 schools

In February 2009, President Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 which provides a one-time appropriation of $100 million for foodservice equipment assistance to school food authorities.

What does this mean for you?

Your school could be eligible to receive a school equipment assistance grant to purchase new or replacement foodservice equipment during Summer 2009.* Your school equipment assistance grant may also be used to pay for costs associated with new or replacement foodservice equipment, including delivery and installation costs.

Who’s eligible?

K-12 schools who participate in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) are eligible to receive a 2009 equipment assistance grant. Priority will be given to school food authorities in the National School Lunch Program in which at least 50 percent of the students are eligible for free or reduced-priced meals.

Each state’s school foodservice grants may set different requirements for NSLP schools; check with your Product Consultant for more information.

How can the 2009 School Equipment Assistance Grants be used?

Although each state may set different guidelines and requirements, the program asks school food authorities to select equipment (with a per unit cost of at least $5,000) that meets at least one of the four following focus areas:

Ready to apply for a 2009 School Equipment Assistance Grant?

Call a Product Consultant at 800-215-9293 or visit CentralRestaurant.com to get more information about these school foodservice equipment grants and school foodservice equipment (including energy-efficient equipment). You can get school foodservice grant information on areas including the following:

  • Copy of the 2009 School Equipment Assistance Grants memo from the United States Department of Agriculture
  • Answers to more of the most frequently-asked questions about the 2009 School Equipment Assistance Grants
  • Key dates, deadlines, applications and more specific info for your state